Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Flicker of Light

The seed for this blog post was planted on Christmas Eve. I realize we have just celebrated Valentine's Day, but seeds take a while to germinate.

One of my favorite parts of Christmas Eve is the Candlelight service. At the end of the service all the lights are dimmed. The candle is passed from person to person lighting their candles and gradually illuminating the room. At most of the churches I've been to the congregation sings "Silent Night". It is a beautiful, peaceful way to end a service.

In spite of the fact I've gone to these all my life, I think this year was the first time I really grasped the message. As a member of the choir, I get a birds eye view of the passing of the light. I watched as the light went down each row, illuminating each person's face. As it got to the back of the room the light reached into the darkest corners. How often have I noticed that one candle might not make much difference, but a whole church full of candles lights up a room? Well, this year, I saw it from a different perspective.

I am a volunteer. It is in my DNA. I like helping where needed. I don't want compensation. I just want to make a difference. Reality reminds me I am NOT Mother Theresa, neither by circumstance, nor by personality. I am just me.

I volunteer at the Center for Hope in Ambridge. I help there because I am so impressed by the heart and the organization of the Director, Sue Otto. She's not Mother Theresa either, but she is much closer than I will ever be. Her motto is "A hand up, not a hand out". Her method is to look closely at her clients and see what they need and then try to provide it. I go one day a month, because it is a bit of a drive for me. I help out in the Food Pantry on distribution day.

Too often, lately, I have found myself wondering if I do enough. Could I do more? Where? The questions nag at my conscience. Really, volunteering one morning a month is nothing in a world where the need is great. Does it make a difference?

Christmas Eve: the room is dark. One candle is lit. The face behind it lights up. Another candle is lit. Another face lights up. One candle, plus one candle, plus one candle..... the darkest corners are lit up.

I think of Sue. She runs a center that provides education for adults, cooking classes for teens, clothes closet for those in need, tax services, assistance with electric bills, after school activities for kids.... the list goes on. She has a handful of employees. How does she do it all?

With volunteers.

One at a time.

The Missions team at my church has an unofficial slogan: Small acts can make a big Impact. I've realized it is more than just a slogan.

I don't do much, but the truth is Sue couldn't do it without 'me' and the dozens of other "me's" that show up one day a month. I'm just a little flicker of light. But my flicker...with all those other flickers... really does light up the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment