Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fasting--the Serious Side

In my last post, I made light of the 3-day fast I participated in. I focused on the misery of being denied a cup of tea. If that is truly the message I got, then it is evident I failed in learning anything, nor was I drawn closer to God.

Today, I'd like to take a moment to recognize a few points that fasting brought into view. One of the things I learned personally, is that I still spend a lot of time focused inwardly, on what I want, rather than on what I need. The weather was dismal. That much is true. It certainly influenced my mood. I had a headache for 2 days. That didn't help things, either. My husband is traveling right now. Combine those 3 things and you have the makings for self-pity. But the reality is that all of those things combined are still pretty superficial!

Hunger is a reality for many people, both in America and in Third World Countries. For them, my complaints wouldn't have registered on their radar screens even as a blip, let alone as something to avoid.

I volunteer at a local food pantry. Food is distributed once a month with the goal of providing an additional 15 meals (5 days) worth of food to families. "Beggars can't be choosers" may be a common expression, but it is a callous one. Humans, no matter the circumstances, still have preferences. Even in their needs, they have 'wants'. They, like me, want variety in their diet. Poverty does not change that. One woman who comes to our pantry complained one time that we always give her applesauce. "I have cans of applesauce! Why can't I have fruit cocktail?" she moaned. The reality is that food is distributed using the age old method of supply vs. demand. I had to explain to her that the fruit cocktail (which was limited in quantity) was for the large families who would receive one applesauce and one fruit cocktail. I tried to gently remind her that our food was just to extend her budget. Perhaps she could buy the fruit cocktail. I also tried to give her a new use for the applesauce. I told her that she could replace the applesauce for the oil called for in the muffin mix using up the applesauce and making it a healthier version. But the point is, no matter what our circumstance, we still desire variety and choice.

Take this thought one step further. If you were a refugee in an African camp and you received your daily ration of gruel don't you think at one point you would wish for just a minute you could have the meal you used to fix at home? I'm sure every refugee thinks that sometime, if not every day! The one thing I didn't struggle with, during my fast, was variety! I had lots of recipes to choose from, some that I prepare on a regular basis! I may have denied myself some foods, but I didn't suffer hunger pangs. And that's ok, because the Daniel Fast isn't about hunger, but about a healthy diet and allowing time to reflect on God's goodness and direction in my life.

I can't say fasting is a spiritual event for me. There are many other ways in which I draw closer to God. As I said, fasting just seems to turn me inward. But one thing I do think about, is how difficult it must be for so many of the world's people, whether they live in my town, or across the world in a dusty village. Even the deer in my neighborhood start to go after my holly and my neighbor's arborvitae mid-way through winter. After awhile, bark just doesn't cut it any more. (FYI--deer don't even like holly or arborvitae, according to the nursery tag on the bush).

Beggars can't be choosers. Maybe that's true. But it doesn't mean they don't have desires, longings, cravings.... simple wants. Beggars are humans after all, and we all have those. So perhaps, what my little fast did, was just to help me empathize more with those at the food pantry, and remind me once again, how truly blessed I really am.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if "turning inward" *is* a bit spiritual. In some fashion, that is one way to to become closer to God. There are those who say that God lives within us (all) - and one way to find Him is to look there! Yet - in so doing, it made you think outwardly - and to understand your blessings - and at least have a rudimentary sense of how others who don't have enough to eat feel. I also find myself closer to God in other ways - most notably music.

    By the way, I loved your response to the woman who was getting tired of applesauce and wished for fruit cocktail. Very innovative. But -- you are SO correct. We would not be human if we didn't have preferences and desires. I wonder however (don't know for sure), that those who don't have options to give themselves their preferences may -- over time -- push those things out of their mind so they aren't hurt so much by not being able to get them.

    ReplyDelete