Friday, April 23, 2010

Independence Road

I'm back from Iowa and it is time to do some blogging! Jan and Mike have satellite, and I found photos didn't upload very well. Of course I was busy watching a little boy run (and run, and run, and run...) so blogging was put on the back burner. Now that I'm caught up at home it's time to post!

My trip to Iowa was wonderful of course. It can't be otherwise when you are seeing your grandkids. I am very fortunate in that my children both want me to stay for long visits. The first year I wasn't sure how it would work. After living in Florida and getting company that stayed for several days I was well acquainted with the comparison between fish and relatives...! I always enjoyed our company, but during the first year we lived in Florida the quantity of it became overwhelming.

Much to my delight, I have discovered that my girls and I get along very well when I visit. I also think their husbands are the best ever. After I go I think they must be relieved that they finally have their house back, but they have never indicated that this ever crosses their minds. Getting along with family is such a treasure. I am so lucky for it! I had parents that taught our family well, because family conflict has always taken a back burner to family cohesiveness.

One thing that does set our family apart from many others is the ease with which we travel and separate from one another. This may not be a very good thing, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. People are often amazed that I drive alone from PA to Iowa or Florida. 30 years ago I would have been amazed as well. In thinking about it, I realize how living in Florida really shaped my sense of independence. Larry was a salesman and he traveled a good bit. I was accustomed to doing things with the girls.

The biggest problem with Florida was that it was so far away from PA. Worse yet--it was very far away from Connecticut, our family vacation spot. Larry's job was often hitting it's peak in August, right when I wanted to go to Connecticut. We missed a year or two until, one spring, I found myself very restless. I would wake up in the middle of the night and wander around the house. One afternoon I suddenly 'saw the cabins' in my mind. I was homesick. I had the southern version of cabin fever. Maybe I wasn't cooped up in the house all winter, but I had to get out of the state. I told Larry that evening, "If you come home some day and the kids, the dog and I are gone, wait 3 days and call Connecticut." And so it began. He couldn't take the time to drive, and we couldn't afford to fly everyone. That summer I packed the kids, and dog into the car, outfitted with a CB radio (and don't tell anyone, but a gun under the seat--I was scared doing this alone) and we took off. I visited family on the way, and once we got to Connecticut I drove to the airport and picked up Larry. Our family vacation pattern had begun. You'll be happy to know that after that first trip, I never took the gun.

The girls were both great travelers. We had a few interesting adventures, but mostly the trips were very uneventful. Even so they left an indelible impact on us. When our oldest daughter, Jen, was in college and needed to get away, the 90 minute drive home was too short. She didn't feel like she'd gotten away unless she was out of state, so she would go visit her cousin in Atlanta. At least that's how she explained it to us! As for me, I don't think twice about the distance anymore. Larry travels and is gone a good bit. It just seems natural for me to go when I need to.
That's how I became a long distance traveler and I am so glad I did. I may not live near my grandchildren but for a week a few times a year, I get to hang out with them anyway.

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting read, and I'm so glad you had a wonderful time with Jan, Mike and the grandkids. One thought: I wonder if a special kind of bond is being created with your grand kids (and kids) when visiting on an extended basis that doesn't happen when there are only shorter visits when one lives nearby. The visits are valued more because they don't happen as often.

    I especially enjoyed the part about the impetus for driving to Connecticut on your own. I'm reminded of my own motivations to do the same thing - at the time when Ray and I nearly broke up - but that's another story for my own blog (or not!!).

    I remember when I was nervous about the small trip from Long Island to PA. Now I drive up and down the eastern seaboard with a fair amount of ease by myself, and the independence feels good. I've come a long way! In fact - in a week, I'm driving to PA for a family reunion - long story. Ray can't go -- so off *I* go!

    There's so much else I could comment on here that resonates with me - but I'll leave it at this for now. I hate it that I go on too long here *g*

    FYI - I'm a bit bogged down with my own blog for a variety of reasons, but hope to resurrect it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have also come a long way. I remember how nervous you were about traveling. I am so glad I was willing to take the leap. I heard one girl on the radio who won a trip to anywhere in the world and she wanted to go to NY because she hadn't been home in 8 years. I realized then, how fortunate I was, but part of that was because I was willing to step out alone.
    As for the relationship with my grandkids...time will tell!

    ReplyDelete