Friday, April 2, 2010

And the winner is....

It seems official. I've been watching my feeder for the last few days and I haven't seen my Bluebirds. Today is my official "Feederwatch" day, and I hoped to get up early enough to catch them, but I haven't seen one all morning. The sparrows are definitely in control of the bird house and peace seems to be reigning in the yard.

The species of birds visiting the feeder have changed a lot as well. I have seen several Cowbirds, Goldfinches, Grackles, and Red-Winged Blackbirds. The Mourning Doves still visit, but in reduced numbers. With Spring comes fresh food for most of the birds and the number of visitors shows it. The Juncos, Chickadees and Woodpeckers are seen much less frequently. I haven't seen the first Cardinal this morning.


It is fun to see the nests pop up. Today, I had an "AHA!" moment as I looked at the pieces of grass on the stoop in front of the front door. I had noticed them before. It looked as though someone had recently mowed, but that wasn't the case. Then, I checked behind the wreath on the door, and there was the cause! The House Finches have built a nest in my wreath, just like they did last year!
It always surprises me that a door that is opened at least a few times each day seems like a suitable place to raise their young! As I faced the nest I couldn't see the birds at all so it makes a very nice hiding place for them.
When I open the door they fly off and watch me from the nearby Pear tree. Once the eggs hatch, we'll be careful not to use that door if possible.


Feederwatch officially ends next week, but I'll be watching all summer long. I learned so much from watching them. I can now identify some by flight, some by shape, and I'm beginning to pick out their songs. And sing they do! Their songs start early. With the windows open at night I may find my mornings start earlier too!

3 comments:

  1. I'm astounded that you have a nest on your front door wreath! Wow -- brave little birds to withstand the opening and closing. Is there a place where you could position yourself to get a picture of the babies once they are born? Or - are they just "that hidden".

    You feed the birds - and sometimes I think they know - on some level that you're a friend. They watch you fill the feeders - or they do that with me! No - they don't sit on your little finger, but they do sense a good environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - I was doing some research on bluebird boxes and their inhabitants, as I now have noticed both nuthatches and bluebirds vying for the control of the bluebird box. Thinking of your house sparrows, I also did a little research on them -- and I found out some disturbing information I think you might want to know. According to several articles I read, House Sparrows can actually be dangerous to bluebirds. Many sites have suggestions for both passive and active deterrents to keep the House Sparrows from bluebird boxes. Here is one site - and you can google to find out more info:

    http://www.sialis.org/hosp.htm

    Ugh. Just thought you'd want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy,
    Thanks for this website! It's a great resource. I'm not a great researcher... I never want to take the time. But I'll check out this site a lot.

    ReplyDelete