Monday, December 26, 2016

Bonnie's Broken Arm: A Christmas Miracle

My favorite doll, Bonnie, is dressed in her Christmas finery today as she sits in a chair by the fireplace.


When I was a little girl I had a favorite doll named Bonnie. Bonnie came with a polka dot sundress and bonnet. I don't remember ever dressing her up, but I'm sure I did. I played with her constantly. Bonnie was all rubber, which I much preferred to the china dolls my sisters had because I didn't have to worry about her chipping or breaking. Mine was rubber. Her round rubber face had hair that was sculpted into the head. It would always be perfect, never falling out or getting tangled or frizzy.

Bonnie was similar to the Betsy Wetsy of those days. I could feed her a bottle of water, but I'd better be holding her over the sink because the water ran straight through! Her sweet blue eyes closed when I tilted her back. If I squeezed her she made a plaintive bleet. It wasn't much of a cry, but it worked for me. I thought she was wonderful.

One day, as I was playing with her, I noticed her arm had a split in the crease of her elbow. I wiggled it back and forth to get a closer look. And pretty soon the little split was a big split. My dad was a doctor, but he was also a great fix-it man. I waited for him to come home from work so I could show him Bonnie's broken arm. I was confident he would make her all better.

He studied the arm carefully and proclaimed it broken. "Can you fix it?" I inquired hopefully?

"She may need to go to the doll hospital, but I can put her arm in a cast." Dad took my doll and wrapped medical tape around her arm from shoulder to wrist. I was a little disappointed that he couldn't make her all better, but by the next morning, I had accepted Bonnie's fate and was back to playing  with her.

As Christmas drew near I turned to Santa. Maybe Santa could fix Bonnie's arm. Each night I went to bed wondering if Santa would come through. Would my Bonnie's arm get better?

Christmas morning arrived and I waited with my sisters at the top of the stairs while Dad went downstairs and turned on the Christmas lights. When he gave the signal we all traipsed downstairs. I spied my stocking hanging by the fireplace overflowing with goodies. But my eyes widened when I saw the high chair next to it with Bonnie sitting there. The tape was gone from her arm and it was all better!

Christmas miracles come in all shapes and sizes. For me it came in the form of a doll whose arm, once broken, was now whole.

2 comments:

  1. In all the years I've known you, I never heard this story. I also don't remember Bonnie. So interesting and really moving how he put her in a "cast", then fixed her for Christmas morning - kind of like how it takes time, and we have to wait for our own broken arms to "fix" (I know about that!) What a special gift for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed this comment! OOPS, I've gotten lax.
      I still have Bonnie, but you know, this must have happened sometime around the time you broke your arm. Maybe within a year? I'm not sure.

      Delete