Thursday, August 16, 2012

Center for Hope Gives Me a Warm Glow

When we moved here I wanted to get involved in something that would help people, but because I traveled a lot, I was hesitant to volunteer anywhere on a regular schedule. A few years ago I learned about a program that impressed me so much I wanted to be a part of it. The Center for Hope is a non-denominational Christian based community center that provides educational programs for adults, after school kids programs, utilities and housing assistance, clothing and a food pantry that distributes food 2 days a month to families that qualify through the state. And that is just for starts. Sue Otto, the director, has a motto: A hand up, not just a hand out. And that's her criteria for adding programs.


I like volunteering at the food pantry that distributes food 2 days a month. I usually help one day. The people are a mix of old, young with children, healthy, infirm, smart, or educably handicapped. Many (not all, there are a few gnarly apples in every bushel) are very appreciative and happy to be there.


This week was my pantry week and a group from my church went with me, but one day last winter really stands out in my mind. We had taken a new volunteer with us. As Sue Otto, the director, started handing out assignments, she asked the newcomer if she 'had the gift of mercy'. This is actually a trick question, which most of us knew. If you have the gift of mercy it means you will probably find it difficult to say no to a client who wants something they aren't allowed to have. For instance, occasionally we have a few bottles of syrup and boxes of pancake mix. On those days, in the Breakfast section, everyone will get cereal, but only the large families will get an extra apportionment of pancake mix and syrup. A single person will occasionally fuss and ask for it. It is difficult telling them no and making them move on. Sue knows this so if she feels it will be hard for you, she will give you a task that removes you from this situation.

Center for Hope receives it's food from the State. Food is allocated to families based on the old Supply vs. Demand principle. State allocations must be followed to the letter or the pantry will lose it's license. Sometimes it is hard, but volunteers must follow the rules.

Sue also receives a lot of items from local collection groups: churches, school clubs, scouts. For instance, our church collects toiletries and pet food that we send there. Grocery stores give them surplus items. She has more leeway over how those items are distributed. They are put on shelves or in bins in what I call the "Free Select" section. Families of 1 may get 1 item from each section, while familes of 5 may choose 2 or 3 (supply vs. demand, again). Understanding these details will help you understand the predicament I was presented with one day.


A tall, clean, but shabbily dressed man came in for his food. I've seen him there before, but never worked with him. As he went through the pantry he was very selective about what he needed. The cans of meat were welcomed, but he had plenty of pasta. He wouldn't take any of that. Then came the Free Select section. The first shelf had everything from a couple of boxes of pancake mix, syrup, soups, cake mixes, oatmeal packets... My client looked the shelves over and was delighted to see a box of salt! "Oh," he said. "Salt! No pepper? Oh well, I could use salt!" (Do you know how inexpensive salt really is?) We went on. The next Free Select section was a bin of candy. "No, I don't need no candy, " he said. Then we came to the toiletries. He was a single person so he was only allowed 1 item. "Oh man, soap! I could use me some soap," he said. He looked through the bin until he spied the toothbrushes. "A toothbrush? I really need a toothbrush."

It was my turn. Time to push that 'gift of mercy' to the back. "I'm sorry. Only one item. You have to choose." 

It was hard to do. The problem is, the were only a few toothbrushes, and several bars of soap. But there were many more families who would be coming through. As Sue reminds us, we have to be sure there are things left for the last family, too.

It was a tough choice. "I really need the soap. I could use a new toothbrush, too." He looked at me, took the toothbrush and acted like he was going to slide it in his sleeve. "I could hide it in here, couldn't I?" he asked. My heart sank. I looked at him and gently removed the toothbrush.

"I can't encourage you to do that," I said. I held the toothbrush in my hand. He kept the soap. We moved on. He finished collecting his order and I turned him over to the baggers. As he left, I tucked the toothbrush into his bag. "I'd like you to have this, too. Have a good day."


He just smiled and nodded his head.

There are times when you have to hold the line. If that toothbrush had been part of the State allocation, I would have kept to the rules. He would have had to choose, and be stuck with his decision. But that toothbrush came from my church. How would the person who bought it felt if they knew someone who really needed it was denied it?

All I know is that tiny flicker of light I usually feel (see my post on Feb. 19) warmed me like a campfire when I went home that night.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to respond to this a few days ago, but for some reason the comment wouldn't post. Let's try again...!

    I just wanted to say that this post really is heartwarming - kind of like that campfire you mention at the end! I commend you for finding compassion and having the sense of the best thing to do for that man in among all the rules that are there for obviously good reason. I thought of myself in that situation, and I don't know if I would have thought of doing that. Good thinking on your feet.

    Ok -- let's see if this will post....

    ReplyDelete