Monday, June 6, 2011

When Did I Get So Busy????

I can't believe it has been over 3 weeks since I last posted an entry on here! Where did the time go?

It's June. Mother's Day is long past. Memorial Day was a week ago and today I finally got around to buying flowers to plant outside. How did it get so late?

Before I retired I was pretty busy. OK. To be honest, I was very busy! I didn't consider myself to be a workaholic, but then I don't think most workaholics recognize the trait in themselves. One of the things I loved about my job was the variety of tasks associated with it. One of my biggest flaws was an inability to focus on one area. Instead I became a Jack of All Trades, but Master of None. Outside of work I was also busy, mostly through church activities. Two trains of thought characterized how I chose things to get involved in. The first one was that if I read of an opportunity or a need for help, I would often think to myself "I could do that". The second step was to check my calendar. If that particular time block was free I would say "Sure! I can do that." It wasn't a very stringent selection process.

When we moved I was ready to completely revamp my way of thinking! I guarded my time fanatically. For a year I was involved only in our church choir and handbell choir. But our neighborhood is a friendly one and after a year two groups had formed; a book club and a Bunco group. I was in! Anything to do with a Ladies Night Out and a glass of wine seemed to be a good fit! Over the next few years I added 2 church groups; the Mission Committee and the Flea Market Committee. In both areas, my tasks are fairly limited and a requirement for me to commit to anything was that it had to be something I can do from almost anywhere I have access to a computer. The Flea Market committee is a short term task and I handle publicity (ads emailed to the newspaper) while the Missions Committee has honed our tasks to a few meetings through the year to tweak plans. I handle most of the web site information. I felt I was controlling things pretty well.

However, I guess if I'm being forth coming I have to add in here that through the missions committee I have begun helping at a food pantry one day a month and my husband got me involved in his corvette club..... as Secretary. Hmmm.... how did that one sneak in? Uh-oh, I do believe an old thought pattern resurfaced. I distinctly remember thinking when I was asked if I would do it, "I could do that, and the meetings are already on our schedule, so ok."

I guess that's how it happened. Suddenly I find myself with a house layered in dog hair (yes, she is STILL shedding!), no summer flowers planted, and no time to sit down to blog. I can (and will) rationalize that this past 6 weeks have been a perfect storm of activity. Sandwiched between 2 trips was the need to finalize the plans for the Flea Market, maintain my commitment to the corvette club and the food pantry, keep the yard mowed during a very active growing season, and maintain some sort of house cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping. Suddenly I knew what people meant when they said now that they are retired they don't have any time!

But it's all past! There will be a few summer trips which is the best part of life, but not so much activity. I think life is going to return to a more normal pace. You'll know for sure if you start seeing more views from this empty, but no longer quiet, nest!

2 comments:

  1. I remember writing once in my blog that there is a fine line between living life and writing about life. If either one of these gets too "top heavy" - my life is out of sorts. For example, If my life is not full enough, and I have too much free time, then there's nothing to write about, and my entries are bland. If my life is so full that I can barely reflect on it, much less get to the computer to write, my life has become overwhelming. It sounds like this spring you were out of balance somewhat.

    It is interesting how a life can fill up - almost imperceptibly. If you say, "yes, I have time" too many times, and not take into consideration the previous times you have said that, your life fills before you realize that it has.

    I do hope to hear more from you! :) (And, I hope that I can jostle myself to write a bit more, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO with you on this one. I cannot believe that I will have been retired for one year at the end of this month. And I, too, am busier now than when I was working. I hardly have time to blog either. I don't know where the time goes. I just like what I'm doing now. And we have a cross country trip planned out west in September.

    ReplyDelete