Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sieze the Moment

The sun rose this morning over a frosty landscape. The thermometer registered 6 degrees and the birds were hitting the bird feeder early. Inside we were warm wrapped inside our bathrobes and once again I gave thanks for the comfort of a cozy bed. This is Larry's busy time of year. He got home last night after several days away and he will take off again in just a few days, so this morning we decided to skip church and have a leisurely morning together. Seize the moment.

This afternoon the temperatures had risen to a bearable 24 degrees and the sun was out. The projected flurries had not appeared, nor the accompanying cloud cover. It was time to walk the dog. My neighbor thought I was nuts. There was only one other set of dog and people prints in the snow, so maybe she was right.

Growing up in the northeast, I was accustomed to that reality of life. Regardless of what I may have had planned for the day the weather frequently dictated what I actually did. If the day was sunny and rain was predicted for tomorrow, then the vegetable garden would be weeded, and the beans picked. Hot days meant a day at the lake. Indoor projects were saved for rainy days and winter time.

When we moved to Florida it took me a long time to adjust my mentality about sunny days. I had a hard time not taking advantage of a sunny day. Eventually I learned my To-Do list could reflect whatever I felt like doing. Sun was the norm. Rainy days were an anomaly. The weather no longer dictated what I did.

As you know if you've been following this blog, one of my big re-adjustments to living in Pittsburgh was the lack of sunshine, even more than the cold weather. But today was a reminder that I have adjusted. There are many days the weather just isn't conducive to walking. Wind, sleet, deep snow or ice on the sidewalks, lots of salt on the streets; all of these are reasons to stay home.  But mid 20's temperature isn't one. That's what long underwear is for! So I bundled up and watched the ears perk up as Maggie watched and waited for the final signal. I picked up her  leash and she started to wriggle and dance. I could just hear her say...

YES! Sieze the Moment!

2 comments:

  1. I can say I have yet to adjust quite so well. Mid-20's is still a reason to stay indoors for us! I may do better if I had a sidewalk and could just go out for a walk like you do, but when the driveway is routinely plowed with a payloader the lifestyle is just different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your lifestyle is different. For one thing you have 2 kids, gravel roads, no sidewalks. And then there is the wind. I do remember 'siezing the moment' last spring when I headed out for a walk after dinner one night when I realized the wind had finally died down. I suspect your mid-20's is a lot breezier than mine. And I won't walk on a windy winter day. Just too cold.

    ReplyDelete