Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Buccaneer fan in Steeler Nation

The view from here today is definitely Black and Gold! The truth is, the view in Pittsburgh year round is Black and Gold. There may be a football season, but in this part of the country you would be hard pressed to identify it if you didn't watch TV. Those treasured jerseys are worn every day. The people around here bleed Black and Gold. Visit my church on any Sunday morning and you will see jerseys in the pews. The church custodian considers it part of his work uniform, AND his dress attire. Meetings, programs, practices--all are scheduled around 'the game'.

The problem is, I am a Buc's fan, first and foremost. I like Red and Pewter. When we first moved here I got excited when I heard the sports guy on the news refer to the Bucs only to discover he meant the Pittsburgh Pirates. Boo. What a way to burst a bubble! I vowed I would stay a Bucs fan no matter what. I even promised a friend she would never see me in a Steelers jersey. So far she hasn't.

Living in Tampa in the 80's and 90's football was more of a hobby for fans, than an extension of their personal lives. Games were never sold out, so if you didn't go to the game you had to listen to it on the radio. I've jokingly said the only time I ever got the ironing done was during football season. Every Sunday I'd set up the ironing board next to the radio and listen to the game. The team wasn't great and lost more games than they won, but I was a fan. Excitement picked up when we welcomed Tony Dungy as team coach. The change was subtle, but the turn around was real. It was exciting to watch the games as the Bucs finally entered the playoffs. It was the beginning of events being scheduled around 'the game'. Even at that point, it wasn't until we won the Super Bowl (a high point in my life!) that I finally noticed the red jersey's appearing in public. Kids were asking for jerseys for Christmas gifts. The average joe wore them shopping. Team spirit was finally becoming tangible.

There is a vast difference between the Steelers and the Buccaneers.  The Bucs were a pretty poor team for many years. And in sunny, warm Florida, there's a lot to do on a Sunday afternoon besides watch football. The Steelers, by comparison are heading to their 8th Super Bowl and has won 6 of them so far. That can generate a lot of excitement. Cold and icy days are the perfect reason to stay inside and watch the game. But that's not the big difference.

These people don't stay inside! What makes them bundle up in 3-4 layers of clothing and stand outside for hours in the coldest weather of the year? Why did they start tailgating 10 hours before the game--when it was only 8 degrees out? Why would they still be standing there after the game is won to watch a trophy presentation? Why didn't they head for the warmth of their car as soon as the clock ran down? It was below zero for pete's sake! Maybe this is what Brain Freeze really means! I mean, there's only so much alcohol can do for a body.

The answer is they are nuts. Nuts for their team, crazy for the game, die-hard fans with a will of steel. The team is well named. Yes, Steeler Nation is real. Travel to any town and you are likely to see a sign of black and gold. When we were in Talkeetna, Alaska  a  man ran out of a store to talk to us when he saw Larry in his Steeler sweatshirt. Travel to London or Paris, and you will probably find a Steeler bar where fans can gather to watch the games.

I'm still a huge Buc's fan. They will be number one for me for a long time to come. I've stayed true to my promise to my friend. She hasn't seen me in a Steeler's jersey. But that doesn't mean I haven't worn one. Black and Gold Osmosis is unavoidable. Sooner or later you come around. The team, like my Bucs, has a lot of integrity. Most of the guys are nice. There may be a few bad apples, but they don't stay around long. In short, this is an easy team to like. And they certainly have learned how to win. I have to be honest. It's easy to like a winning team.

Now it's Super Bowl time and the locals have kicked it up a notch. To me, 6 rings is enough, but they are bent on getting #7. Personally, I don't mind sharing. I won't be sad if the Packers win the Super Bowl this year. That is another great football town. But I will be rooting for the local guys. It's just part of living here. Sooner or later we all bleed Black and Gold. But they still don't get my heart pumping the way my Bucs did. .

2 comments:

  1. You failed to mention that Coach Tomlin did his apprenticeship under Tony Dungy and that is ONE of the real reasons I have respect for the Steelers. Tony is a GOOD mentor and will always be for anyone in his path of travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, Most all who live on Hilton Head Island are not FROM Hilton Head Island! I find it ironic that there is a large contingent from the Pittsburgh area, and there are "Steeler's Bars" here. Really! Last year on the Monday after the Super Bowl, we went to have a pub dinner in one, without realizing what had transpired the night before! The place was still recovering. Steeler's fan stuff still hung on the walls, and the waitresses who were working that night were subdued, probably wishing they had Monday off after the madhouse the night before. The owner was there - still cleaning up - and we finally talked (as we were only one of two parties eating, and he was from Pittsburgh, and created this bar for his beloved team.

    A facebook friend from Hilton Head who also was from Pittsburgh has pictures of her house already decorated for their Super Bowl Party. Yep -- gold and black everywhere.

    I don't have an allegiance to any football team. The Eagles never excited me, although when they were in the Super Bowl I was mildly interested. Same with the NY Giants and Jets. Other than that -- I don't much care, though we'll watch. I do care about the Phillies still. Always will. Have never embraced any New York teams ... not really. I think as far as baseball - the Yankees have won way too much. Maybe I have the same feeling about them as you do about the Steelers. "Enough is enough!"

    ReplyDelete