Sunday, July 24, 2016

Back in the Mountains


My last post had me still in Idaho watching people jump off bridges and parachuting to the road below. We are now home. The Great RV West Trip has come to an end, but there is still so much more to tell. I will save some of the final sights of our trip, (the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Little Big Horn, Buffalo Bill Cody and Custer as well as a great visit with our daughter in Iowa) for later.
Instead, I will catch up on what's been happening here!

We ended our trip four weeks ago, coming home to a cabin in the woods yellowing under a thick layer of pollen coating everything. When we left in April only a few brave trees had ventured to put forth a leaf or two. Now the woods had come into full bloom and the wide open vistas we had enjoyed from the seat of the RV were gone.

When I open my eyes in the morning and look out the window of my second story bedroom I know I am back in my 'treehouse', for that is what it feels like as I gaze through the tree tops and glimpse the sky beyond.

Our last night out had been spent at Dale Hollow State Park in Kentucky camping with our RV club. As we said our farewells to everyone, a friend said, "I hope you can rest up from your trip, now." Larry and I looked at each other and thought, Rest Up? For the last 10 weeks we had moved at our own pace, waking up when we wanted, driving as long as we wanted, and staying in places as long as we wanted. All in all, it had been a very restful trip. Getting home would be a whole different story. We had family coming!!

The next 12 days were a flurry of unpacking the RV, hosing off the house, scrubbing pollen out of windowsills, reclaiming the yard from all the unchecked spring growth, and in general, cleaning everything in preparation for the arrival of our two daughters and their families. My fitbit was going crazy. After sitting in a vehicle for 10 weeks, it was suddenly back on duty and being put to the test. So were my legs. The first day home I worked like a dog emptying everything out of the RV. 25 trips from RV to house, 14 flights of stairs and 13,000 steps later, I crawled into bed. Day two saw 10 trips from RV to house in the morning, and me stuck to the couch by lunchtime. My legs had disowned me. Day 3 I took it slower. The RV had finally been cleared and cleaned. We hosed off the pollen, cleaned the porch, washed windows, weeded flowerbeds, planted flowers, filled the birdfeeders and changed the wreath from Easter to Summer. And when the first car rolled in the driveway we were ready.




Next Post: Vacationing in a Vacationland!

No comments:

Post a Comment