Friday, May 8, 2015

Savannah

It's been weeks since I've posted, but it's for a good reason. I've just been too busy having fun and visiting friends and spending time with my sisters! But tonight, I've set aside time to share the final leg of our trip in the RV.

Our final stop in our 3 week RV trip was in Savannah. We actually camped at Camp Lake Jasper, a new campground in Hardeeville, South Carolina, about a 30 minute drive from Savannah. It was a small park, but the amenities (laundry room, shower/bath house, and RV sites) were very nice.

We were fortunate that the first day in Savannah was beautiful and we took full advantage of it, since the forecast for the next couple of days was rain.

If you've never been to Savannah, it is worth a visit. I've been before, so I knew how beautiful it was. But this past year, I read the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt, which is a true story that takes place in Savannah, revealing its quirks, eccentricities, and local pride while taking the reader through a true murder mystery. After reading it, I had a much better understanding of the history of the town, and the way Savannahians (?) view the traditions in their city.

We booked a tour on one of the many tour buses. The bus is similar in size to a trolley and we were able to get off at any stop and then hop on another bus as it came by. The driver filled us in on local lore and trivia. Like the Resurrection Fern.
Live Oak with Resurrection Fern growing on its limbs
When the weather is hot and dry the fern turns brown and looks dead. But as soon as the rains come, it bursts back into life.

Map in hand we chose different stops to get off and explore the area.
Madison Square with the Jasper Monument
The city is designed around Squares--small parks with a monument or fountain, in which you must drive around to get anywhere. Personally, I would be bored, frustrated, and annoyed as all get out if I had to drive around several squares to get from one end of town to the other, and I'd quickly find a new route! But the squares are lovely, and add the feel of a neighborhood park to each section. There are 22 of them!
Hamilton-Turner Inn
It doesn't take long to realize the architecture is outstanding, and the houses are stately, and beautiful. Big or small, they all had such style to them which is one thing the town really wants to preserve...local style, grace and beauty.



The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was built in 1873. The first thing that strikes you is the beautiful exterior in white and gold. It is clean and royal at the same time. But walking inside reveals an extraordinarily stunning interior. It is open to the public, and for parishioners, though they rely on donations to help keep it in this pristine condition.








Andrew Low's Carriage House, 1st National headquarters for Girl Scouts
















For me, no visit to Savannah is complete without a visit to the Juliette Low house. I was involved in Girl Scouts for many years, and seeing where it all started is intriguing. The first headquarters was the Carriage House behind her father-in-law, Andrew Low's, home. Today it is a gift shop.

Back Entrance
















On our last day in Savannah, we met up with Wendy and Ray. Wendy and I were BFF's long before the term had been invented. (like back when we were toddlers!)

So on the last day of this fun filled trip we met them and toured the National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force in Pooler, GA. The museum was very interesting with a number of movies and displays. I still find myself frequently recalling details of WWII that I heard there.

After a day at the museum Wendy and Ray came back to see our new traveling home, before heading out to dinner.

It was finally time to pack up the 'bus' and head for home, and I couldn't help but notice how comfortable I had become sitting in that co-pilot seat! When we first bought it I wondered how long it would be before I would perch up in that seat and look down on the cars below, (or the trucker at eye level) and not feel strange. The creaks and groans as we rattle over the back country roads aren't as noticeable anymore. (And let me assure you, there are plenty.)  I only notice them when the headwinds and side winds are battering us.

It felt good to be home.  I was ready to walk around the yard, exploring and searching for any kind of spring plant. This was our first spring in this house and I wanted to see what was growing here!

I think that's the best part of life at this stage. The road is fun, and coming home is always a pleasure.
Who can ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment