Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Slow Moving Process

It's no secret life has been a bit crazy lately. So much is going on I haven't had time to think. We've moved. That part is over! Now we are unpacking. And unpacking. And unpacking.... oh, did I mention? We are unpacking. Does it ever end??

Tonight, I sit here in my new house. It's a cabin, really. Very rustic. About 1/2 the size of the home we moved from. I'm trying to collect my thoughts. I've heard it said that Geniuses work well under chaotic conditions. They have so much going on in their heads that to work in an organized environment is very hard for them. Once again, I have proof that I am not a genius! I can't think when my environment is too far out of sync.

During the move, and over the last week lots of comparisons, thoughts, reminiscences have crossed my mind, but I was unable to stop what I was doing to write a post. It turns out, when there is a lot to be done, writing takes a back seat. At night, I collapse and look at my computer like a zombie. Even if I can think, I'm afraid to start writing for fear I will be up for the next 2 hours when I really need to go to bed.

So hear is the update. The good news is that most of the boxes have been unpacked. The better news is that my kitchen, which is about 1/3 the size of my last one, has been set up and is working very well! On the other hand, the yard sale pile is growing. We knew we had more to get rid of, but it was hard to do until we actually got here.

I've stated before, that I hate to move. I have to admit, I'm not sure exactly why I hate it. Truthfully, moving is an adventure. There are new people to meet, new places to see, an opportunity to reboot my life, or join new groups and participate in new activities. On the other hand, moving means saying goodbye to all those things I came to enjoy about my current home. And it is a total disruption to my life. The most obvious is moving away from friends and a home I love. Listing a house and having to keep it in pristine condition while working or raising kids isn't fun. Then there is the packing. That is a huge job, but over the years, we have had movers do the lion share of the packing for us. At the other end of moving is the unpacking. Right now, it is the part I hate most.

Unpacking is a mix of adventure, discovery, frustration and wonder....that moment when you just say "Huh?"

There is the satisfaction of unpacking a box and finding places for everything. There is the frustration of not being able to find something I know must be here, but which box? Then there is that AHA moment when it is finally found. This move it was the DVD player and all the remotes. We discovered them nicely tucked into the bedding from the master bedroom. We would have found it sooner, if we were using that room. Instead it was the VERY LAST box unpacked.

There is the wonder at unpacking something I can't imagine ever having kept, like an empty jar.

So far my favorite find is a tall, narrow 1 quart empty jar. I can see keeping a wide mouthed jar, but I have no idea why I ever held onto this jar!

Best of all, there is the surprise at unpacking something I forgot I had, like an old momento that had been tucked away. Unwrapping that suddenly brings back warm memories of an event long forgotten. Like this little photo album my dad kept of all of us as children, as well as his grandchildren.


That's me at ages 5 and 4

The best part of this move is that after nine times, Larry is by my side, working just as hard as I am. That is a first. Every other time we have moved, he would go to work and I would unpack the boxes, one at a time, one day at a time. This time it is a team effort. And I think we are winning.

One day at a time...one box at a time.


2 comments:

  1. I have never moved. I have helped Claire move, and from that I have decided I NEVER WANT TO MOVE!!! I cannot believe how many times both you and Claire have done this chore... It's overwhelming just to think about it. Yeah ... and adventure, indeed?!?!

    I can relate to saving some odd things. When packing up my kitchen, it was my goal to throw out as I did so -- and I did so. Yet -- when unpacking the kitchen to put it all back, I found some -- frankly -- odd things which should have gone - not to be given away, but to be thrown out. There were tops of things that had no bottoms -- bottoms of things that had no tops! I guess I got to packing and just got into wrapping mode - and my brain checked out!

    I'm so glad Larry's in this with you this time. :) Nice to have the work shared!

    By the way -- I kind of recognize those photos..... :) Your father was the master photographer before it was "easy" to take photos now that we're in the digital age. I always wanted to be him and do that but was put off by the expense of film and developing. I waited until the digital age! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I grew up in one childhood home, but then our lives diverged. Even in college, I moved 7 or 8 times, with room changes, roommate changes, and summer semesters that sometimes gave me 3 roommates in one summer! I guess it was true preparation for life. HA!!
    I didn't know you were interested in photography back then! Dad tried to teach me, but I've since realized I'm a snapshot taker, not a photographer. You are a photographer!

    ReplyDelete