Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Challenges and Conquests

February came and went and we are almost finished with March. Yea!! Most winters I get to spend a few weeks in Florida, but this year we made the Great Trek at Christmas to both Iowa AND Florida. And we are moving soon to Georgia, so winter travel just wasn't in the cards. Even with trips to the land of the sun, usually by now I am deep into a jug of OJ and Vodka. This winter, one would think I would be well into my second jug. It's been long, cold, and snowy. One could get a little tired of it all.

In search of endorphins, I take Yoga at a gym. It's a great class, with a great group of  women. This winter the gym did its best to give us another reason to feel sorry for ourselves. The Plank Challenge! What is the Plank Challenge? To see how long we could hold ourselves in Plank position, of course!

Every class from Yoga to Zumba began with us holding the plank position for as long as the instructor challenged us...or as long as we could make it. It started at 20 seconds at the beginning of February. At the end of the month we were challenged to last for 3 minutes! I decided early on if I could make it for one minute I'd be happy!

There was another side to February that was more fun. I signed up for 2 months of voice lessons to evaluate my voice and learn better breathing techniques. As a teen I sang soprano. After I got married and had kids, I didn't sing in a choir for years. By the time I went back to choir, the high notes were gone, so I started singing alto.

I learned a few things at those lessons. First, I discovered I should be a soprano, but I really need to stretch my voice. I also discovered that if you want to prove to yourself that you really can't sing, try voice lessons! I can carry a tune pretty well, and put me in a choir surrounded by other average voices like mine and it sounds lovely. Put me in a room by myself with just a piano to keep me on pitch and I sound remarkably like those poor kids trying out for American Idol whose parents assured them they were the next Mariah Carey.... but werent'! The ones that made Simon, Paula AND Randy wince.

So when February was over how did I do? All I can say is I amazed myself!

As for the Plank Challenge, I hung in for 3 minutes and 20 seconds! I was so proud of myself!

My voice lessons are just finishing up, but I started with a range of about an octave and a half, and ended with a range of two and a half octaves. I hit high notes I hadn't heard in years. It doesn't sound pretty yet...more like a bad wheel bearing, but in time it will. It just takes daily practice. Just like holding plank in yoga.

I will never be a Yoga instructor, or sing solos in a choir, but I stretched myself in ways I haven't done for a long time. It was probably healthier than fighting through February with the jug of OJ and Vodka. One thing is certain. If you want to feel good, endorphins only go so far. Conquering a challenge is a feeling that lasts a lot longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment