Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Next Time Try a Zoom Lens

I was sweeping the porch the other day. We had cobwebs under the porch roof and in corners and I wanted to get them out. I spied a large one and went at it, broom flailing as I brought it down. How I missed seeing the large bees nest 6 inches from it, I don't know, but what my eyes missed, my broom hit with a bullseye!

Instantly several bees flew at me...and then went back to the nest. Hmmm. They didn't seem to be particularly aggressive. In fact, as I watched, they worked intently on their nest. It was hard to tell what kind of bee they were so I moved in for a closer look. As a rule bees don't bother me, so I peered at them as they did their thing.

Suddenly, (and I do mean SUDDENLY!) 3 bees flew at me. One stung me so fast I never saw him hit me or take off. I just felt it.

Oh yeah, I felt it! It's been years since I've had a bee sting. Well I remember now. They hurt! It starts out stinging and then really gets to stinging. Over the next few minutes the sting gets hotter and hotter . I came inside, grabbed an ice cube, and put it on the sting while I Googled how to remove a stinger. I had heard the new rules but couldn't remember what they were.

As a reminder they are:
  1. No tweezers.
  2. Use a credit card or needle and gently scrape the stinger off.
  3. Apply ice to numb the pain, or apply meat tenderizer to the sting.
And 4...This wasn't on Google, but maybe it should be for idiots like me. Use a zoom lens if you want to see bees up close!

No comments:

Post a Comment