Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Accidental Garden

My gardening style is pretty simple. Plant it and if it lives it can stay. If it dies, it wasn't meant to be there. When I lived in Florida I had one section of the yard that was more reminiscent of a dust bowl, than the garden of Eden. I finally pulled out the sparse grass, put in a walkway, and planted a few hardy bushes that would grow anywhere. During the Christmas season our house was decorated with poinsettias. As spring rolled around I would take the poinsettias outside and stick the potted plants along the fence in the 'dust bowl' garden. Three months later I would plant any that were still alive. The hardier ones made it. The weak ones didn't. My style of gardening.

Here in Pennsylvania it's been a little different, but as I've related before, gardens and planning are two words that don't really work well for me. Most of my landscaping was not the original plan I had in mind, but consists of the 'substitutions' the landscaper assured me would work better. He was right. I am very happy with his choices!

At the edge of our yard is a ravine that was partially created by the developer. It is steep and was bare when we moved in. Now it is covered with wildflowers and renegade trees. I wanted to create a barrier garden to separate the 'weeds' from the grass.  I marked off the garden, killed the grass, and covered it with mulch. I planted a few daylilies with plans to divide and plant more in other areas. I transplanted some cone flowers and Queen Anne's Lace from a neighbor's yard. One day I saw some zinnia seedlings and thought they might be a pretty addition. Before I had a chance to plant them I discovered something was eating my plants. The cone flowers were nubs cut off at ground level. The Queen Anne's lace wasn't much better.

Hmmm. Not a good place to plant tender zinnias. I decided to plant them around the corner of our patio. I've never had zinnias before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

They liked the location. And I love zinnias! ( Ah yes. You will notice a morning glory also was planted there. Probably not a smart move since I routinely have to rescue one of my zinnia plants from the sneaky, or should I say snaky, tendrils of the morning glory. But we are all working it out. Live and learn!)



It is now late summer. Who am I kidding? Fall starts this weekend! As I sit on the patio reading, my zinnias bloom in a bouquet of many colors. The garden fountain gurgles in the background. Ageratum, a rose bush and ornamental grass frame out the space. None of it was planned. It all just happened over a space of a few years. It's my kind of garden.


It has become a peaceful refuge for us. Maggie lays in the grass, soaking up the sun. I enjoy the birds, the water, and the summer colors that linger into fall.

And the zinnias? They'll be back next year! My favorite accident.

1 comment:

  1. I love it Connie. I call my garden one of many volunteers. My mother used to give that name to plants that seeded themselves all over the yard. I have done some planning, but very little. We right-brainers have difficulty with that!! I also am enjoying my garden now that the weather is not so blistering hot. The plants appreciate the respite. And so do I.

    ReplyDelete