Monday, June 18, 2012

Living the Life

I  have writer's block. Actually the block is more like a pile of rocks; a jumble of ideas, places we've been, things we've done, and before I can blog satisfactorily, I need to sort through them for the good stuff.

It's been a busy spring and we've had great fun. I am not good about keeping up with on-line media services, like facebook, email, or blogging, when I am traveling. At the end of a busy day I am more likely to sit back and relax with my husband or friends. Thanks to my iPhone I keep up with important emails, but most others are either deleted or ignored. That email sent from one good friend to 15 of her best friends with a 48 slide PowerPoint with 'beautiful pictures you can't miss' telling me how to live a fuller life takes a back seat to actually living that life! Call me crazy!

The last trip we took I actually couldn't blog. I had no internet service. "What?" you say. How can that be? The first part of our trip was in Canada at my sister's house. First of all, I am not paying airtime in Canada! Secondly, you have to see my sister's house to fully understand, and someday soon I'm going to tell you a little about it, but suffice it to say their computer is not sitting front and center in the middle of the family room for all to use. I could have used their computer, but that would have meant sitting upstairs in the only room that receives a signal through their metal roof, and I was much more interested in spending time with her and my brother-in-law, than in another room on the computer. The second part of our trip was to a cabin in upstate NY, and I kid you not; No TV, no Phone (land line), no Internet. Cellphones were sketchy as was a satellite hookup for Larry's laptop. (Thanks to my iPhone, and my neighborhood friends, I WAS kept apprised of the big news back home that Miss Pennsylvania lived in our neighborhood and that's why the news media was camped down the road. Other than that, I had no clue what was happening in the world...and I didn't care!)

What did we do? (meaning--how did we survive?)  We visited, spent an afternoon in Ottawa, walked, sat around the fire, drank wine, (or beer), laughed, reminisced, kayaked, read, napped, and never missed a thing.  Ah vacation.

So I'm back. Internet service is readily available and my laptop is sitting on my kitchen desk where I can post, without missing a thing. But more importantly life has slowed down giving me time to reflect. And I will begin by picking up those rocks, perhaps at random, and sharing with you some of the events of the last several weeks, interspersed with current happenings.

Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. I SO get this post! Been there. And, will be there again!

    I have always said (and I have it said in my "about me" section of my blog) that, "There is a time to live life, and a time to write about life, and sometimes we are able to do both". It's a matter of balance in life. If you are writing at the expense of living, one's writing is a bit flimsy with little depth. If one is living at the expense of writing, for bloggers, the needed time to "reflect" will be lost. Even for "non writers", I believe we all need time to reflect upon our lives, which requires us to slow down.

    I'm headed to Maine in a few weeks. We (now) have a landline, which we didn't when we were children, and I am grateful for that. I don't feel disconnected with Scott should there be a need to communicate. There is no internet except for dial up, and even with that, it costs money, as I have to use an 800 number, so I don't use it. There is NO cell phone service -- NONE ---, except for when we go to the Center Lovell store, or go out to eat at Ebenezer's Pub in Center Lovell. Yeah -- sometimes I quickly post to Facebook when there...

    For the most part, I do relish these days, with the possible exception of rainy days. But, even then, there are books to read and photos (of raindrops on pine needles, and droplets on the lake) to take. It's like a weight off my back - and I can focus purely on hanging out on the dock (coffee in morning - wine in the evening), swimming in and kayaking (and canoeing and motorboating) on Kezar Lake and, of course, photography. But, most of all, Ray and I are totally present for each other. I do spend some evenings (not all) going through the photos, because if I didn't - the chaos when I got home would be overwhelming. But - it's not an online thing. No Facebook or that kind of thing.

    I find it humorous watching people at the Center Lovell store -- with their heads buried in their cell phones, and laptops. (they provide - free of charge - high speed internet inside the store). Yet, I do take advantage of finally cleaning out my email off my phone when there, so I'm one of "them", too!

    Whatever the case, I'm really looking forward to Maine this year... (last 10 days in July) -- and I totally get the fun you had on your trips to Canada and NY state -- and -- the fun you are having reflecting upon it now. Looking forward to more entries about it! (And - sorry this is so long!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I have an advantage many don't. We grew up with vacation places that were rustic. We never had tv, or telephones to interrupt our lives. I think our kids are lucky to have had that experience too. They handle that deprivation better than most.
    Thanks to smart phones and wi-fi, our deprivation is limited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, By the way, Have a great time in Maine! It is idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh -- I can't wait to get there. With all the crap that has been going on, (Ray's kidney stones and such) I need a few days where the biggest decision will be whether to go swimming or canoeing! ;-)

      Delete