Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Home

I've been gone alot lately. I spent 4 weeks in Florida with Jen when she not only had a baby but had to move! Yikes! One is hard, both is insane. That is not an 'exponential' leap. One is hard. Both is insane!
So I stayed to help with the process.

Then I came home for 2 weeks before Larry and I took off on a 2 and 1/2 week vacation that included several days in North Carolina, a few days back with Jen and then our cruise!

Back home for 2 weeks.

And out to Iowa for 2 weeks with Jan, Mike, Samantha, and Warren. I love it out there. City folks think I'm crazy, I'm sure. But when I do my daily walk down a gravel road surrounded by fields and the birds are singing, and the wind isn't blowing I feel such peace. (Actually, the birds are probably singing because the wind isn't blowing!) Once you've experienced the wind you will sing when it stops!

Now I am home.

In Home is Where the Heart Is, by Billie Letts, (wonderful book, by the way,) a book discussion question asks how I define home. Is it a building? A family? A place?

Home is where I find a sense of peace. It is also where I like to hang out. It is a building, for sure, but it is a building where my 'stuff' resides, that I have decorated to suit me. There is an ambiance in it that welcomes me. It is also where my family is, where my husband and dog are.

'Home' wraps it's arms around me like a security blanket. My bed welcomes me at night the way no hotel, or 'other home' can do. And in the morning when I come downstairs that sense of peace assures me I am home.


I'm glad to be here.

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to answer this, as I have had these feelings during times when I am in the midst of a lot of travel - with only short times at home between trips.

    I love travel, but at some point - when there is one trip after another - it takes it's toll on me, and I long for the stability and comfort of home - and being around all the "familiar". My cats are there - and I am never totally at ease when I'm traveling and they have been left at home in the care of a pet sitter. It's hard to describe, but when I'm home there is this internal sigh ... of peacefulness. I can let down. I don't have to stand on any ceremony, whether real or imagined. There is a rhythm to my life at home -- that I have made to may liking. Both of my houses give that to me, although I am not a fan of the transition between one to the other!

    ReplyDelete