Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's Day, the day for lovers. Picture little hearts flying around like cute little birds, tweeting away......
What am I doing?
My blog. Birdwatching for Cornell Univ.'s Feederwatch. Working out. Watching a movie on TV.
Larry is away, so there won't be a romantic dinner here, tonight. Cue the 'sad violin song'. But it's not all sad. A few weeks ago my blog post was titled "Seize the Moment", and last week we did. Since he was home we went out for dinner at a nice restaurant to celebrate today, early. A nice restaurant is defined by me as one without a TV in the main dining area. For him, it's one with a big screen TV in his direct line of sight. I won!

After 40 years of marriage it has become apparent that we have sunk to new lows in the romantic department. We've never been in the habit of exchanging expensive gifts, and this year was no different. I tried to find him a pair of his favorite Corvette dress socks since his old ones had finally blown apart, literally! He, on the other hand, did find the perfect (?) gift for me. Ice Tracks. Ice tracks are elastic bands that fit over your shoes or boots with studs in them so you can walk on icy sidewalks. It's February. What could be more appropriate?

Most people would consider socks and ice tracks the equivalent of getting an iron for your birthday. Not romantic. Just practical. So maybe it's time we look for a way to bring romance back. For him it would probably be me in my old 25 year old body. For me--it's February. I'll take a trip to Aruba.

I probably have as much chance of getting to Aruba for Valentine's Day as he does of seeing me look like a 25 year old. Good thing we love each other just the way we are.
Happy Valentine's Day, Honey! I love you, near or far, wherever you are.

4 comments:

  1. Steve and I don't buy cards for each other. Sometimes he brings me flowers from the grocery store (less expensive!). This morning, for Valentine's Day, I drew a heart on a paper napkin in red marker, and wrote our initials inside of it. And I wrote Happy Valentine's Day across the top and lots of x's and o'x across the bottom. And I put it next to the coffee pot where he'd see it when he woke up.

    Hand drawn paper napkins are much better than store bought cards anyway.

    And I'd be thrilled with some *Yaktrax* for my shoes any day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping I don't need my ice tracks any more this winter, but you never know. Anyway it shows he was thinking of me while he was away, and what I put up with, LOL! BTW, the picture was taken last summer on a glacier cruise out of Whittier. Gorgeous day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valentine's Day is an emotionally charged holiday for me. Not sure I like it, yet have an affinity for it. Talk about mixed feelings...!

    A few years ago I was in the grocery store Valentine's Day morning and saw these panicky men picking through the floral arrangements set out for just this purpose. I could read their minds, "Gotta get SOMETHING".... It didn't feel romantic at all, and more an obligation.

    So much has been put into material gifts - how much you spent - the elaborateness of the gift and that kind of thing. In reality it's about the thought that went into whatever your gesture.

    I have an online friend whose husband created a huge crossword puzzle just for her with clues having to do with her, and their relationship. Then they enjoyed the process of her doing it together. How creative! How romantic! Yet it cost nothing. That old adage, "It's the thought that counts" is really apropos.

    Practical or extravagant, it's knowing your spouse well enough to know what they desire or need is really what it's about, too. You and Larry did that. That's love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie, such a cute post. So true!! I love your sense of humor. Hope it warms up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete